Thursday, May 5, 2016

Mother’s Day Memory

mothersday-momscode
Guest blog by Kenna McHugh

“The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.” —Jane Sellman

My mother worked so hard as a single parent raising three kids on her own. Unlike today,  there were no government subsidies, tax credits, or other opportunities for help.  Yet, she instilled the value of sharing the joy of life.  

My mother worked 8-hours a day on a low salary, and she had a babysitter to help out. But, there was so much involved in raising three children.  She kept track of your school activities, our doctor and dentist appointments, we learned how to swim, and we were involved in sports.

Learn more about The Moms Code.  Like The Moms Code on Facebook  Follow The Moms Code on Twitter.  Find on Instagram.

When I was 5 years old, my sister, brother and I had a very special Mother's Day because we truly wanted to acknowledge our mother. We decided to do the traditional “Let’s make Mom breakfast in bed!”

My sister and brother were older, so they fixed the pancakes, eggs, and orange juice. My job was to make everything look pretty. I set up the serving tray with a rose in a vase, cloth napkin, and our best plate and silverware.  The tray almost looked too heavy for my sister to carry, but she walked up to my mom’s bedroom. My brother opened the door and in walked my sister as I followed behind. My mom gradually woke up as my brother went to the right side of the bed. My sister went the left side where my mother slept, and I peered up from the foot of the bed.  Together we wished, “Happy Mother’s Day!”

My mother smiled and laughed with a hint of tears. She thanked us and ate the breakfast in bed as we watched. I kept giggling because I was so excited we were able to do something special for her. 
When my mom was done eating her breakfast, she paused, and smiled at us and asked, “What would you like to do today?”

The Moms Code author Eileen Wacker also writes the acclaimed childrens books The Fujimini Adventure Series Many proud parents just like you appreciate multi-cultural education for your children.  Find the book series by clicking here. 

We said, “Mom, it is your day. We want to do what you want to do.”
My mom looked out the window at the windy day, smiled, and said, “Let’s go to the park and fly your kites.”

kite-mothersday-momscode
We cleaned up, got dressed, and headed off to the park. For the first time, I was able to get the kite in the air for longer than 3 minutes. I didn’t get the kite as high as my sister or brother, but I did keep it up in the air for almost 15 minutes. While my sister and brother continued to fly their kites, I sat in my mom’s lap watching.  I felt very special being with my mom as we talked. I think I did most the talking, as she ran her fingers through my hair and listening. 

My mother made me feel special while I sat in her lap, and it made me proud to be her daughter. She is gone, now. But, she taught me the value of being with someone and making them feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment