Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Moms Save Each Other

Bettina-bush-working-mother-radio-moms-code-eileen-wacker
Written by Shelle Lenssen
Guest Blogger

When Eileen and Bettina chatted the other day on Working Mother Radio, I felt like theywere both talking right to me. I loved their discussion on three of the pillars of the Mom’s Code, especially my new favorite, Moms Save Each Other. This Moms Code mainstay was very evident in my own life recently, and I was reminded just how much we moms need to step in and save each other every once in a while.

Learn more about The Moms Code.  Like The Moms Code on Facebook  Follow The Moms Code on Twitter.  Find on Instagram.

I took my daughters to the children’s movie matinee on Saturday morning, along with about every single other family in town. The theatre was jam-packed with squirming toddlers, chatty kids, and moms and dads trying to prevent a major popcorn incident. Really, it was pretty much a typical morning at the kiddie show.

Moms-Code-family-movietheater
Right before the movie started, a mom friend I’ve known for a few years, ran over to me in a rush. She stopped and explained that she had just gotten a call and needed to immediately go pick up her oldest son, and would I mind keeping an eye on her younger four kids for a few minutes? Without hesitating, I told her “absolutely” and she was off without looking back. Her four children never moved from their seats and she made sure I saw her when she returned less than ten minutes later. The whole exchange took minimal effort on my part, but it allowed my friend to leave guilt-free and know her children were being minded and didn’t have to miss out on the movie.

ONCEKids Publishing is run by literacy advocate and Mompreneur Eileen Wacker.  Click here to find her acclaimed books

Just as I helped a friend that morning, I have been rescued many, many times myself. When I was eight months pregnant, five different ladies came to my aid when I was determined to paint every room in our new house. When my oldest daughter and I were in a bad car accident a few years ago, a dear friend collected my stitched-up preschooler, got her clean clothes, and fed her lunch while I stayed in the hospital for further testing. I’ve had mom friends lend me last-minute Halloween costumes, bring my family dinner, and take pictures of my kids during the Christmas play. In turn, I’ve happily contributed to meal trains for new moms, picked a friend’s kid up from practice, loaned out books and DVDs, and dropped off good chocolate when I could tell a friend just finished a particularly rough day.


I am so grateful for this sweet community of moms I’m able to be a part of. I’ve been saved by my mom friends more times than I’d like to count, and am sure we’ll keep on saving each other until our kids leave our nests. We’ll pick up each other’s orders from the warehouse club, pass along shin guards and cleats, and be each other’s biggest cheerleaders. We all agree, just as it takes a village to raise a child, it takes a community of moms to save each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment